CGI Technologies and Solutions, Inc. Database Architect in Newport News, Virginia
CGI-experience the commitment
Find similar career opportunities
City:Newport News, Virginia, United States
Employment Type:Full Time
Meet our professionals
CGI: An employer of choice
Put your years of experience into a future of excellence at CGI Federal. We are seeking a Database Architect to support operations in our Newport News, VA location.
We are initiating a major project that will build a new training capability for the U.S. Army. The project will consist of a converged system architecture that includes COTS tools. The ideal candidate for the Senior Database Architect position will have experience in defining solution roadmaps, developing solution designs, scoping technical initiatives and epics, evaluating technologies, and developing frameworks in support of program priorities. The ideal candidate will have experience with the architecture and modernization of enterprise solutions leveraging key platforms and technologies.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
• The Senior Database Architect will be responsible for designing, architecting, and developing the project data model and database.
• Project consists of integrating existing systems to support the overall training program. The Senior Database Architect will work with the development team in creating the evolving data model that supports the program.
• The Senior Database Architect uses his/her deep knowledge of technologies, development strategies, and data modeling best practices to support definition and delivery of the data model. This includes crafting overall technical vision and direction documents for large or complex initiatives, evaluating technologies and/or alternate approaches, working with stakeholders to estimate and design approaches, and supporting program-level trade-offs on priorities.
• The Senior Database Architect role also requires an individual capable of designing and developing architecture framework capabilities to ensure a technical runway so that development momentum is not delayed. This person has strong collaborative skills with a technologists thinking who can work and communicate effectively with technical and nontechnical stakeholders to continually ensure the product is of the highest quality. This person will move fluidly between the legacy and next generation applications, providing technical expertise to all teams and products in an Agile environment.
The Database Architect will also:
• Diagnose database issues using various resources; define an appropriate solution; support the resolution; and document the incident record.
• Define database architecture best practices, supporting the approval and implementation within the overall team.
• Build, as required, Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) viewpoints.
• Continuously identify and escalate any risks to the solution, quality, staffing and/or delivery commitments so they can be acted upon in timely manner.
• Participate in quality validation exercises, including subsystem assessment reviews and/or exploratory testing efforts to continuously keep a pulse on product quality and identify areas for adjustment early in the process.
• Work with a centralized development, test, and deployment teams.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
A Bachelor's and 5 years experience is required for this role. Additional experience may be substituted in lieu of degree requirement.
• 3+ years of experience in Data Modeling and Database Architecture.
• 5+ years of experience MS SQL server and/or Oracle experience.
• 5+ years of relational database experience.
• 5+ years of experience writing relational database queries for stored procedures, query optimization and performance tuning.
• Experience with Tableau a plus.
• Experience with ETL tools a plus.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to execute in a fast paced, high demand, environment while balancing multiple priorities.
• Ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements.
• Ability to meet or exceed business goals and objectives, while fostering a team atmosphere.
• Experience communicating trends and impacts.
• Knowledge and understanding of application lifecycle, from design and development to testing, implementation and production support.
• Knowledge and understanding of project management methodologies: development, testing, tools, and techniques, a plus.
• May require a DoD Secret Clearance.
• Due to the nature of the government contract requirements and/or clearance requirements, US citizenship is required.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here at https://cgi-veterans.jobs/ to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.
Have you been referred by a CGI Member for this position?* Yes No
CGI member’s email (@cgi.com) *
I agree to allow CGI to contact the CGI member who referred me to obtain additional information about my application and to confirm my referral. *
* This field is required.
CGI is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with US laws and regulations. Click here at http://documents.njoyn.com/homebase/cgi/AMSDocs/EEOPolicy-Signed2017.pdf to access our US EEO/Affirmative action policy.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
EPPA at https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
FMLA at https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Consolidated EEO Is The Law at http://documents.njoyn.com/homebase/cgi/AMSDocs/EEO_Poster.pdf
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned.
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here at http://cgi-veterans.jobs/ to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.