CGI Technologies and Solutions, Inc. LAN/WLAN Design Engineer in Houston, Texas
LAN/WLAN Design Engineer
Create your Profile | Sign in
Activate Career Alerts
Find similar career opportunities
LAN/WLAN Design Engineer
City: Houston, Texas, US United States
Position ID: J0921-2994
Employment Type: Full Time
The LAN / WLAN team has the accountability for portfolio, design, asset integrity and network engineering for the respective services. As such, the LAN/WLAN tower is accountable for bringing new services to market in our client with agility, top-quartile price performance and acting as a credible business partner by integrating the diverse requirements of multiple stakeholders as well as overall Enterprise needs. The LAN/WLAN team will support projects who deploy, enhance or decommission services and hand over to ET-SOM to operate.
The purpose of the LAN/WLAN Design Engineer is [either as an individually or leader of a team] to manage the end-to-end technical delivery of the telecommunications systems required as part of ET&P Connectivity Projects.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
• Review and approve detailed designs for network and telecom system produced by the telecoms contractor.
• Deliver and execute the Discipline Controls and Assurance Framework (DCAF) for Telecoms as a Technical Authority (TA) throughout the project phases with assurance of supplier plan and solution designs on robustness of solution from a design, operability and maintainability perspective.
• Specify the communication network required for transfer of process data to the office network and public domain taking into consideration alternatives like satellite communication, fibre optic, local communication network systems or dedicated radio communication system.
• Deliver and execute the project control documentation for networking and field telecoms with assurance of the supplier plan and solution designs from an operability, affordability and maintainability perspective.
• Review and approve detailed designs for network projects.
• Document the architecture via network and communication systems drawings.
• Integrate engineering standards and practices into the design and contribute to the development and/or revision of standards and practices.
Specify Acceptance Test and Acceptance Criteria to ensure supplier deliverables are in line with business requirements.
• Engage with operate teams to ensure handover ownership is defined at early phase of projects and ensure designs are supportable by the operate team.
• Contribute to the annual performance goals and personal development plan cycle.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
• Typical Years of Experience: 8-10 leading and executing Telecoms project delivery, Telecoms operations, or IT consultancy assignments to design, develop and deliver viable network and telecom solutions, preferably in Oil and Gas Preferred
• Good understanding of OSI Model, TCP/IP protocol suite (IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, TFTP)
• Knowledge of Layer-2 Switching, VLAN’s and Access-list
• Knowledge of Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS), Voice over IP (VoIP)
• IP addressing and subnetting and routing concepts.
• Switches: basic configuration and VLAN setup on Cisco switches.
• Router: basic configuration and monitoring of Cisco routers including VLAN’s.
• Telecoms Industry knowledge with extensive experience in Networks and Telecommunications, Testing and Commissioning.
• Knowledge of environmental and electrical safety in hazardous (IEC EX) that impact design of telecoms systems used in process plants; Upstream / Downstream IT infrastructure and telecom solutions e.g. Process Control/SCADA, Safety Critical Elements.
• Consistently delivered results in a matrix, global virtualized organization.
• Experience in negotiation skills
• Proven experience in stakeholder and relationship management including external vendors.
• Ability to translate technical requirements and specifications into easily understood business concepts and vice versa.
• Proven Stakeholder management and Communication skill.
• Cisco router/switching/security certification, at minimum CCNA
• Aruba, AP, Controllers, Clear pass, Airwave
• Infoblox DDI
• F5 load balancers.
• Experience working in an outsourced environment.
• Project Management certification like PMP, PMI, Prince2.
• Service Management processes (Support Models, Service Level Management, Contract Management and Supplier Management
Soft Skills & Experience
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Ability to communicate concisely and clearly.
This role is based in Houston, Texas.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held. Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records are welcome to apply.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.