CGI Technologies and Solutions, Inc. US Employment Counsel in Fairfax, Virginia
US Employment Counsel
Create your Profile | Sign in
Activate Career Alerts
Find similar career opportunities
US Employment Counsel
Category: Legal Affairs
City: Fairfax, Virginia, US United States
Position ID: J0621-2080
Employment Type: Full Time
The best version of us starts with you. CGI is a global company of owners who shape the direction of our company and our own careers, while achieving meaningful results for our clients and making a positive impact on the communities we call home. With 77,000 consultants and other professionals in over 400 locations across the globe, CGI delivers an end-to-end portfolio of capabilities, from strategic IT and business consulting to systems integration, managed IT and business process services and intellectual property solutions.
The best version of us comes from empowering you with the respect and flexibility your career deserves. The best version of you starts with a willingness to evolve and continually challenge yourself. We come together as teams with a diversity of background to solve the complex business and IT challenges with comprehensive services for leading organizations around the world.
CGI is offering a full-time opportunity for Employment Counsel to join our U.S. legal team. The position will support our U.S. Commercial and State/Local Government business, as part of the Office of General Counsel’s legal team, and will report directly to the Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Employment. This role will provide daily legal counsel on employment-related matters, with the purpose of managing employment-related risk, minimizing legal exposure, supporting compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations (e.g., Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, leave laws, FCRA and drug-testing law, pay equity, and other employment laws, as well as their state and local equivalents), and facilitating CGI’s ability to maintain a positive work environment that aligns with CGI’s values and ethical code
The right person for this opportunity must have a strong attention to detail, be execution oriented, have strong business acumen, superior analytical and writing skills, and well organized. Strong interpersonal and communications skills, the ability to influence others and operate in a fast-paced environment, and a healthy dose of humor and humility as part of a collaborative work environment are essential.
The role offers the opportunity to interact with senior leaders in the U.S. company, as well as with colleagues across our global company. Additionally, there is an opportunity to develop skills and thought leadership that will support career development and progression within CGI.
While this role offers flexibility in terms of work location, it must primarily be based near a CGI office in one of the following metropolitan markets: Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia; Atlanta, Georgia; Charlotte, North Carolina; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Chicago, Illinois; or Dallas, Texas.
Occasional travel to our U.S. corporate headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia will be expected for those not local, but overall there is minimal overnight travel (less than 5-10% of the time).
Your future duties and responsibilities:
• Provide day-to-day multi-state legal counseling and guidance to Human Resources, Employee Relations, managers and key business stakeholders on a diverse range of employment legal issues, including but not limited to employee relations, performance counseling, disciplinary matters, employment claims, wage and hour issues, safety, and other areas under federal, state and local laws
• Lead, direct or provide assistance with internal employment-related investigations
• Manage and respond to EEOC and other government administrative charges, audits, and requests; and coordinate with outside counsel to address complex legal issues
• Interpret laws and regulations, research key legal questions, and maintain a current in-depth knowledge with respect to all applicable employment laws, regulations and industry guidance, in order to provide related guidance
• Provide support for adverse impact analysis, including for reductions in force and other employment actions
• Assist in developing, revising and implementing employment agreements, policies, and procedures to ensure U.S.-wide regulatory compliance, as well as assist in creating customized trainings
• Assist in driving compliance with federal, state and local employment laws, as well as with CGI’s standards of ethics and business conduct
• As assigned and needed, assist with advising other teams such as Employment Compliance, Contracts, Compensation, Immigration, Benefits, Security, and Privacy
• As assigned and needed, assist with other relevant duties such as supporting M&A diligence and global investigations
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
• J.D. from a leading and ABA-accredited law school required
• Member of at least one State Bar required
• Minimum of 4-5 years of multi-state employment law experience, practicing at a reputable national law firm and/or in-house required.
• Experience advising or working in a large technology, consulting, or other professional services company is a plus.
• Experience with litigation, employee relations, and California employment laws is preferred.
• Familiarity with privacy laws is a plus
Skill Set Years of Experience
Employment attorney. See more in Job Description posted above. 4-5 years
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS/NON-ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
• Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills with the ability to convey complex information into distilled critical information and insight
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong ability to work independently with limited required direction
• Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of the organization, a demonstrated strong team player, and a good sense of humor
• Ability to show initiative, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously with demonstrated follow-through and timely tracking to deadlines
• Ability to be flexible and agile, and to maintain a professional and genuine “can do” attitude in response to challenging situations and changing priorities.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held. Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records are welcome to apply.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.